This is John M. Donnelly, the president of Military Reporters & Editors, or MRE, and a defense writer at Congressional Quarterly and Roll Call. I am writing to you on behalf of the MRE board because you are either currently an MRE member or you have been one. I want to make sure you know the value of an MRE membership.
First, we are launching a new program, an MRE Networking Series for our members only. These will be regular opportunities to make contacts and share ideas with national security journalists, senior U.S. government officials and top public affairs professionals from the public and private sectors.
The first of many such networking events is coming up soon. If you are a member, or even if you are just considering rejoining, feel free to attend our June 7 happy hour with Dana White, chief of Pentagon public affairs (6 pm at Sine Irish Pub & Restaurant on 1301 S. Joyce St. in Arlington, Va.)
Below are some of the other benefits of MRE membership. I hope you’ll keep these in mind as you decide to re-up your membership or, if your membership has lapsed, to join again:
- Discounted Annual MRE Conference. Attend this yearly news-making event at a discounted rate. Active MRE members pay half the regular enrollment fee. This is an unmatched opportunity for direct exchanges with senior uniformed and civilian officials as well as top public affairs officers.
- Discounted Annual Military 101 Conference. Learn the basics about the Defense Department and the defense oversight process in Congress. The agenda is aimed at not only neophyte reporters or public affairs officers but also anyone else in need of a brush up.
- Social Media Megaphone. MRE members’ work is amplified on the Internet–on our website (militaryreporters.org), on our Twitter page (@milreporters) and on Facebook.
- Private MRE Facebook Page with Job Bank, More. We are about to move to two Facebook pages: a public site to help promote your work and that of MRE; and now a private Facebook site for members only to share information with each other and to access our exclusive jobs bank. All MRE members will belong to the private site. But you’ll need to register, and we’ll tell you how in the next couple of days.
- MRE Members-Only Desk at Pentagon. All MRE members with a DOD press pass may use the desk and phone at our exclusive desk in the DoD press area.
- Opportunities to Address DoD Forums. The Defense Information School and other groups regularly host MRE speakers to address classrooms or conferences and invite our members to social events.
- Fight for Press Freedom. Be part of something larger than yourself: an organization that stands up for reporters’ access and press freedom in the Defense Department and beyond.
- Contact Us. If you want to join, you can do so here. If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at 202 746 6020 or email@example.com.
I look forward to seeing you soon at our next event.
All the best,