WASHINGTON, Oct. 4, 2021–The Military Reporters & Editors Association is proud to announce that its annual conference will be held Oct. 29 at Navy League of the United States Headquarters (2300 Wilson Blvd #200, Arlington, VA 22201).
Currently, MRE plans to hold an in-person conference, but that could change depending on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
This year’s event will feature:
- Army Gen. Richard D. Clarke, head of U.S. Special Operations Command, and Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction John Sopko as speakers.
- A discussion with reporters who have extensive experience covering overseas conflicts and the military.
- A panel with public affairs officers from each of the military services about relations between the military and the press.
- A ceremony for journalists receiving awards for the 2021 MRE Journalism Contest.
“The conference is an invaluable opportunity for experienced defense reporters to discuss the most pressing issues facing the U.S. military,” said MRE President Jeff Schogol. “It is also an opportunity to honor journalists for their outstanding work covering military issues. Our top journalism prize is named for legendary reporter Joseph Galloway, whom we sadly lost this year.”
MRE is requiring those who attend this year’s conference to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Attendees will also be required to wear masks indoors regardless of their vaccination status, except when they are eating and drinking.
“MRE is committed to doing all that we can to holding a safe conference,” Schogol said. “We look forward to seeing you!”
To register for the MRE conference, click Register Now.
- Date: Friday, Oct. 29, 2021
- Time: 9 a.m. with speakers beginning at 10 a.m. (additional detailed agenda will be sent later)
- Location: Navy League of the United States National Headquarters, 2300 Wilson Boulevard #200, Arlington Va.
- Transportation: Nearest Metro is Courthouse. Parking available for fees in building; on street.
- Prices: $49 for MRE members, $99 for non-members, $15 for students, and no charge for MRE journalism award winners.
MRE journalism contest winners use the discount code: MREWINNER