About Membership with MRE
Military Reporters & Editors is a non-profit organization serving a focused group of journalism professionals.
- Media membership is extended to journalists and determined by how coverage of the military, national security and homeland defense relates to their work life.
- Academic membership is available for journalism professors and students.
- Associate membership is offered to individuals who do not otherwise qualify as members.
- Institutional membership for organizations, agencies or companies is also considered.
MRE Media Membership
Media members share in all that is Military Reporters & Editors with full voting rights and the opportunity to hold positions on the Board of Directors. The media membership shapes the direction of MRE and is comprised of news-gathering professionals.
Who Qualifies for Media Membership?
Reporters, editors and other media professionals covering the military and publishing with a news platform — unaffiliated with any house publication of an organization or movement.
In a professional capacity you may cover news about the military as a(n): anchor, author, broadcaster, columnist, correspondent, data journalist, documentary filmmaker, editor, editorial artist/cartoonist, news director, OSINT journalist, photojournalist, photographer, podcaster, producer, publisher, reporter, videographer, visual journalist, writer.
Your work appears across news products or services through print, digital or electronic media.
MRE Academic Membership
Academic members share in all that is Military Reporters & Editors but may not participate in its governance, vote or hold office. The academic membership is comprised of journalism educators and students.
Who Qualifies for Academic Membership?
Journalism educators and students associated with a recognized academic institution — you do not serve in a public information capacity for an educational institution.
You are employed in journalism education at the college level such as an instructor, professor, or dean.
You are a student studying at a recognized college, school or department of journalism.
MRE Associate Membership
Associate members share in all that is Military Reporters & Editors but may not participate in its governance, vote or hold office. The associate membership is for individuals who do not otherwise qualify for membership but who support the mission of MRE.
- Associate memberships may be offered to corporate public affairs officers, diplomats, think-thank staff members, former journalists and educators now engaged in occupations outside of journalism, including public information officers, as well as retirees, and other supporters.
- The MRE Board of Directors must approve all applications for associate membership.
- You are an individual committed to the mission of MRE and do not qualify by other means.
MRE Institutional Membership
Institutional members may send a representative to Military Reporters & Editors events and meetings, but may not participate in it governance, vote or hold office. The institutional membership includes entities whose members, employees or officers are not eligible for individual MRE membership.
- Institutional memberships may be extended to agencies, companies and organizations which support MRE and its mission.
- The MRE Board of Directors must approve all applications for institutional membership.
- Your members, employees or officers are not eligible for MRE membership.